8/27/2013

How to rename user folder in Windows 8?

NOTE: If you want to buy win 8 pro ($39.99) key ,welcome to my store :http://www.mskeyoffer.com/
When you log in on a Windows 8 machine for the first time with your Microsoft Account (by providing an e-mail address), a new user folder is created:
C:\Users\dciny_000
In previous versions of Windows,.You could choose the name of this folder (it was equal to my username). If I use the commandline often, it maybe quite annoying to you.
  • Can you  rename it to dciny?
  • Does simply renaming the folder break everything?
The answers are as follows :
There are two different approaches, depending on if you have ever used the Microsoft account on the given computer:

I have already logged into that account

  1. Create a local user account with administrative privileges if you don't have one already.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Login with local account with administrative privileges.
  4. Win+XG (Computer Management) → System Tools → Local Users and Groups →Users, right-click user, Rename.
  5. Win+XA (Command Prompt (Admin))
    ren C:\Users\dzinx_000 dzinx
    
  6. Win+XR (Run)
    regedit
    
  7. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ and find the SID for your user account. You can simply open each folder and check the ProfileImagePath for the correct one.
    Rename the ProfileImagePath value to your desired name, like C:\Users\dzinx
  8. Log in with your Microsoft account. Everything should work fine:
    enter image description here

I have never logged into my Microsoft account

To start of, we only have one, local user account:
enter image description here
I'm now going to add my Microsoft account.
enter image description here
Now we have our Microsoft account. Let's open the Computer Management from the lower left corner.
enter image description here
Here we can see our new garbled user account:
enter image description here
Rename it!
enter image description here
You may note that no folder in C:\Users exists at this point in time.
enter image description here
Now log in with the new user account.
enter image description here
Now my Microsoft account is named "superuser" locally and the profile is stored inC:\Users\superuser
enter image description here

I don't have the Professional edition :(

In the standard edition of Windows 8, the Local Users and Groups snap-in is not available.
In my tests, the following procedure worked out well. Your mileage may vary!
The procedure is identical to what was outlined under I have already logged into that account, except that I didn't use the Local Users and Groups snap-in. Instead, I went right for the command prompt and renamed the profile folder. Afterwards, I adjusted the ProfileImagePath key in the registry.
Additionally, I searched the whole registry for the full path of my userprofile (C:\Users\Username) and replaced all entries with the new folder name.
I couldn't detect any problems after rebooting and logging in with the renamed account, but, as I said, your mileage may vary.

What happens when I simply rename C:\Users\abc to C:\Users\xyz?

After logging in with the affected user, the user will be logged into a temporary profile:
enter image description here
enter image description here

No comments: